Started Dec 31, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jeff Kingston
Regular MemberPosts: 312Gear list
Like?
Understanding ETTL with 5D
Dec 31, 2006

Well I continue to be mystified with ETTL and the 5D. These macro photos were shot using 2 580EXs and an STE2 mounted on the camera to set them off. Lens was a Canon 100mm 2.8 macro. Subject watches were placed in a small light tent using one flash to illuminate the side and another the top. Used M mode, 200th and either f16 or f22. Camera was on a tripod with a remote shutter release.

All shots are straight out of the camera.

First failure:

This is underexposed. My surmise: it is the reflectivity from the bright plate which fooled the ETTL????

Second failure:

Same diagnosis.

Then I dialed in an full fstop of flash compensation on the 5D

This is actually an excellent shot (f18). With a little sharpening and viewed full size the detail and DOF are all superb.

What bothers me is how the ETTL seems to be just a starting point. Further looking at the image in the screen can fool you. I thought the first shot was fine until I viewed it on the computer. Seems that the histogram review is essential and that one cannot rely on a shot that "looks good" on the camera screen.

Any thoughts here would be appreciated.

Jeff

Jeff Kingston's gear list:Jeff Kingston's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow