Why do people switch from zooms to primes?

Started Dec 27, 2006 | Discussions thread
R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,870Gear list
Like?
Response to Anthony de Vries...
In reply to Anthony de Vries, Dec 30, 2006

Anthony de Vries wrote:

When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.....

Funny that you put it that way. Here's another thread of mine illustrating that same hammer, but being put to use in a much more constructive way...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&message=19178997

Bla bla bla...

Holy cow. Great verbiage.

I know of no artist who limits himself to a certain brush. And
absolutely no-one who would claim a painting gets better when he
uses only one brush.

Do you know anything of painting or calligraphy in the Orient? Better brush up before making that kind of statement. In excess of half of the entire population of the world would take exception to your statements. Simply because YOU don't know of any in YOUR experience doesn't mean that there isn't an entire planet out there that has already reached enlightenment on this subject.

Focal length is NOT a composition tool by itself. Perspective and
field of view are. Those are only indirectly related to focal
length.

Everyone's brain is wired differently. If you don't see things in the same manner as others, that's not in itself a bad thing. In fact, it's part of what gives the world its diversity. On the other hand, to use your term, "being a slave" to your own close-mindedness doesn't really benefit anyone, especially yourself.

My intent here is not to try to persuade you to embrace our methodology, but only to make you aware that yours is not the only approach that works.
R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.

http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow