Started Dec 28, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jimrichards
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
SD800 v SD700 - low light
Dec 28, 2006

I know that the subject of SD800 vs SD700 has been discussed here to death, so I don't want to bring up any questions that haven't been asked or answered. However, I couldn't find this one anywhere.

Is there any significant difference between the low light abilities of these two cameras? I guess this question has more to do with the physics of optics, which I know nothing about.

I know that when I zoom in with my current S400, I need to take in more light. (ie, I can't ever take low light photos zoomed in...I always need to be as unzoomed (wide?) as possible.) Since the SD800 has a wider end, can it take in more light when it is at 28mm? (Thus allowing it to take pictures in a slightly darker envioronment?) Or, does its seemingly smaller lens take in less light, giving it worse low light performance?
Or are they about a wash?

Anyone with experience in this matter, or someone who knows the science behind the optics care to chime in?

Thanks!
Jim

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow