Started Dec 25, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MKerouac
Regular MemberPosts: 182
Like?
D80 - First Impressions
Dec 25, 2006

I received the D80 as an Xmas gift today. It's intended to be a second body to my D200, I also figured that it wold be a good walk around camera for casual shooting.

Initial impressions are favorable. It's significantly smaller and lighter than the D200. Set-up is much simpler and the camera is basically ready to go out of the box. The in camera editing is a nice toy and I like the ability to simply let the camera do the thinking if I'm in a lazy mood. Image quality is excellent. The view finder is D200 image and quality. The LCD screen is excellent. I think this is a solid camera for 90% of DSLR shooters. I would recommend it in an instant. Especially with the bodie now under $900 street price.

On the downside there are a few things that bugged me. Particularly after I've used the D200 for the last 6 months.

• Set-up is simpler, because many menu features were omitted vs. the D200 menu's. I like being able to set-up 4 custom profiles vs. 1. I know the camera has built in profiles, but I still like the flexibility of the D200 set-ups

• The location of the depth of field button is ridiculous. At times I feel like I need an extra finger.

• The AE/AF lock and AF buttons are also a tough reach.

• The function button is tucked in between the lense and the grip. The gap is smaller than the D200 and therefore a pinch on the finger.

• I don't like the flash popping up automatically. I ended up setting flash off as the function button.

• I haven't figured out how to take AF off the shutter yet. I can assign it to the AE/AF lock, but the shutter still activates AF too. I generally shut AF off on the shutter when using a VR lense.

• The AF button irequires double jointed fingers when the camera is held up to the eye.

• I would also rather have consistency with the CF cards vs. switching to SD's.

Considering the feature and image value for the dollar, these are all mnor gripes.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow