Started Dec 25, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mike Goltsman
Contributing MemberPosts: 580
Like?
FZ50 flash question
Dec 25, 2006

I am thinking of upgrading my FZ30 to FZ50, mostly for the TTL flash capability. I am using a Sunpak 383 with my FZ30 and it has a very generous amount of power and rather functional auto mode. I presume the dedicated Oly FL36 and FL50 will be much better in terms of exposure control, but I am curious how they will compare in terms of power - the Sunpak has the impressive rated GN of 120. With FL50 being rated less than half that at max zoom, I am worried that I would have to be a lot more careful and constrained with bounce flash usage. Would anyone who owns an FL50 and has had experience with a Sunpak 383 be able to comment regarding the comparative power of these units, specifically in bounce configuration?

And another flash question for FZ50 owners. I tend to use my FZ30 with flash in M mode, setting the shutter speed to something that would prevent motion blur - 1/200 or so, and control the exposure with the combination of aperture and exposure controls on the flash. That nearly always causes the screen to go black in when I half-press the shutter. This "preview", which usually is quite a handy feature, is my main gripe about flash photography with the FZ30. I read somewhere that the FZ50 does away with this quirk. Does anyone have any experience with using flash with FZ50 in manual exposure mode? I would like to know whether indeed the screen will not go entirely black when the exposure is manually set to something that would indeed produce a dark frame without the flash. Note that this may or may not be different from a P mode where the camera will usually stick to a rather low 1/30 shutter speed.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow