Started Dec 21, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
vania Castro
Contributing MemberPosts: 599
Like?
K100D versus R1
Dec 21, 2006

Am I crazy? I think so. I have been drooling over the R1 for the last year, and now I have one brand new in a box R1 sitting right next to me as I type this and I keep shaking my head. Why? Because I am really thinking about taking it back to the store and exchanging it for the Pentax K100D. A camera I only discovered 2 weeks ago because my better half mentioned it to me.

Now here are my reasons for thinking such crazy things! I was drooling over the R1 because of image quality and a fixed lens. I never wanted to cross over to DSLR because of the dreaded dust stories, the extra lens expense and the fact that I'm a hobbyist who has a lot to learn yet. However, DSLR's have many of the features I crave for such as faster focus, optical viewfinder, better low light capabilities and probably a whole lot of other features that I'm not even aware of. I'm a total newbie!

I tested the K100D the other day and I fell in love with it instantly. It felt right it my hands, was very easy to use and understand and the auto focus is blazing fast in comparison to my Sony H1. I've read the reviews, I've looked at hundreds of samples from the K100D and I'm pleased with the quality...no pixel peeping here, I don't even know how to do that..LOL. But what I'm most impressed with is the low light capability. I have kids and dogs in my family that I love photographing (usually indoors) and the H1 just doesn't cut it for me and I'm not sure that the R1 will either. I think I have made my decision on the K100D but I'm having a real hard time giving up the R1. Ideally I'd like to have both but I checked the winning lotto #'s last night and unfortunately I'm not the winner

Soooooooooo, the reason for this post is to get some confirmation and ask a few questions.

1. Is the K100D fast enough for action shots? Indoors and outdoors. I'm not talking about really fast paced subjects, more like little children/people/dogs constantly moving or running around.

2. Is dust going to be a big problem? How often should I be cleaning the sensor? When dust shows up or should it be some kind of yearly maintenance?

3. If I buy the K100D, I have the option of getting it with the 18-55mm kit lens for $849 Cdn or with 18-55mm and the 50-200mm kit lenses for $889 Cdn. Should I spend the extra $40 on the extra lens or would it be better spent on a card/bag/batteries/other lens etc.?

4. Speaking of lenses, is there a difference between an 18-55mm lens and an 18-55mm DA lens?

5. Which card should I get?

I have many many more questions that I'll probably bombard you with later but, for now, answers to the above will suffice.

I appreciate any input you may.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
????New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow