Old Leica - What is it and what's it worth?

Started Dec 13, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OneCentRob
Regular MemberPosts: 276
Like?
Old Leica - What is it and what's it worth?
Dec 13, 2006

I have inherited a Leica camera from my grandfather. I was under the impression that it was a Leica III but having researched the serial number (#87828) on the internet it appears that it is a 1932 Leica II 87828. (The maximum shutter speed is 1/500.)

The camera is in EXCEPTIONAL condition. It is black, in a brown leather case. The paint still looks like new with no chips or wear and the mechanism appears to be sound. I don't have a photo to post at the moment as my digital camera has broken but I will in due course. The lens is Leitz Elma 1:3,5 F=50mm.

In addition to the camera, lens and case it also has its original instruction manual and a "Leica photography hints" booklet, dated May 1932. Both are in very good condition for their age.

Some time ago, a family memeber took the camera to a dealer who advised that it was in such good conition that it should not be used, other than to work the mechanism every so often to prevent it seizing up. I don't know the value he put on it.

My questions are:
1) Am I correct in thinking it is a Leica II?
2) Given its exceptional condition, should I use it or just preserve it?
3) Although I am not going to sell it, what is it worth?

Answers to any of these questions would be most apprecitated.

Thanks

Rob

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow