Started Dec 12, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Idoc82
Regular MemberPosts: 275
Like?
Ken Rockwell--not DVDs for backup
Dec 12, 2006

Hi, I came across this on Ken Rockwell's site, and was curious to know what you guys think, since almost every pro I know and all my acquaintances do use DVDs as part of their backup regimen:

"CDs were designed for audio (not computers) in the late 1970s and just happen to have paranoid levels of error correction and redundancy. Drill a small hole in a CD and it still plays! DVDs were developed for video (not computers), and we decided not to go to such extraordinary levels of error correction and redundancy so we could squeeze in more video playing time instead. We got away with this because video is less sensitive to a few white or black pixels than audio is to a full-scale tick. Unfortunately for computer use this means that data is more likely to be corrupted with uncorrectable errors, making your backup unplayable. Worse is that each bit is so much smaller, meaning any bit of dirt or scratch is more likely to damage your data than on a CD. Thus I'm gambling that CDs are more likely to be playable than DVDs in the near and far future."

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Jim,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow