Why D40 over K100D?

Started Dec 5, 2006 | Discussions thread
maynard001
Contributing MemberPosts: 814
Like?
Re: D40 vs K100D
In reply to TonyNC, Dec 6, 2006

I agonized over a D40 vs. D50 vs. K100D for x-mas. This will be my first dSLR. I'd consider myself a serious hobbyist...definitely not a complete newbie but not a pro either. My budget was $500. Based on features alone, the D50 was my first choice...it was simply too expensive.

D50 - $599 w/ 28-80mm kit lens (which i've heard isn't very good)
D50 - $620 w/ 18-55mm kit lens (this is the one i really wanted)
D40 - $599 w/ 18-55mm kit lens
K100D - $519 w/ 18-55mm kit lens & Image stabilization

Price was clearly in favor of the Pentax...by nearly $100. I've heard the negative reviews about burst speed and start-up time on the Pentax. I'm mainly going to be taking pics of my family and children. I may be wrong, but I don't think I'll really miss the need for cracking off 5 shots within 2 seconds...I'm just not that good a photog. Same with the start-up time...I just didn't think it was that big of a deal for me personally if the camera takes a few seconds to startup.

Being in technology for a career, I was a little hesitant to purchase something right off the assembly line. The D40s just came out last week. The K100D has a little more maturity to it.

Finally, in case I really get into this photography thing I didn't want a camera without a focus drive in it. Why rule out tons of good, cheap glass that I may want to purchase in the future by purchasing a camera without a motor?

Now, if the D40 was priced at $399...I may have had a lot tougher decision to make. The fact that it was more $$ than the Pentax really made it a no-brainer for me.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OK.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow