Started Dec 4, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kocho
Senior MemberPosts: 2,690
Like?
D80 focus - is it me or Nikon????
Dec 4, 2006

I have my hands on my third D80 (first one was a friend's camera, the second one was mine that I exchanged for the third one as it had a bad 4-way thumbpad).

All three had backfocus with the included 18-135 kit lens, the first two with my 18-200 VR (did not test the third one with it as I sold the lens last week) and with my other lenses.

I adjusted all of them and they now focus fine. Here are a couple of examples of my current (hopefully final) D80 AFTER the adjustment. I'm not including the focus target tests as they are more boring, but I can tell you that I used both parallel target as well as 45 degree test and they are consistent with tese results.

So, why would Nikon dial-in slight backfocus? I begin to think they may be doing it on purpose for some reason. I shot an party today with the 50mm AF-D F/1.4, mostly head and shoulders and a few full body shots at f/2.8 - f/4 and they were spot on. Also various "test shots" at home are also dead-on with the 18-135 lens as well, after the adjustment. So, I think my adjustment was good and the initial focus setting - bad. But why? Poor QC or there is more to it than meets my eye???

Here are a few samples from today (first three shot with my D80 #2 and the rest - from D80 #3). The crops are 100%.

D80 #2:

The rest are from my D80 #3:

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow