Started Dec 3, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AndreasE
Contributing MemberPosts: 860
Like?
D40 - My first day experience
Dec 3, 2006

I got my D40 in Helsinki on friday. Over the weekend we spend the day together as family - so a perfect opportunity to bring the D40 with me.

Some experiences:

[ ] No camera bag necessary! - The D40 is small enough (with the Sigma 30mm/1.4 attached) to fit in the pocket of my jacket. very, very convenient.

[ ] User controls are intuitive. I had no issues changing exposure compensation, ISO level, Aperture within seconds. There is only a slight delay in feedback between turning the dial and seeing the change on the display - would be better to see a more tighter feedback.

[ ] I did not miss the top level display. The info-display on the LCD is instant on when needed.

[ ] battery life seems to be excellent. I did roughly 200 pictures and all 3 bars on the battery indicator are still on.
[
] With a 2 GB SD Card you get approx 280-300 RAW+JPEG pictures.

[ ] in very dim light the AF module tends to hunt, way more than i.e. the AF module of the D200 and D2X (no wonder :smile:). Had significantly more lens "hunts" than I used to have.

[ ] Matrix metering tends to overexposure. On other contempory bodies I used to have -0.7 dialed in. On the D40 this is not enough, -1.0 and sometimes -1.3 are necessary to avoid overexposure.

[ ] ISO 800 performance is ok for me. I know there will be a lot of dispute over high ISO noise, as with all cameras. Given for what I want to do with the D40, I like it. SOme pictures below are ISO 800 pictures.
[
] Whitebalance is in most cases very good.

[ ] I don't use the neck straps - to get the camera more easily in my jacket. It was no issue at all to keep the camera on the grip for long periods of time. The ergonomics for my hands is excellent.

As always, your mileage will vary, but it's the first P&S I will probably use. I have bought in the past so many real P&S cameras (> 5), kept not a single one due to too many limitations.

The D40 is the best P&S camera I ever had ....
Andy

ISO 200

strong overcast, no sun at all

Now here is the ISO 800 lineup

ISO 800 - Good handling of backlighting

ISO 800

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow