how big are the focus sensors in the D2X, really?

Started Nov 26, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chasg
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,329
Like?
how big are the focus sensors in the D2X, really?
Nov 26, 2006

Hi All,

I'm at present going through a few thousand photos taken at a large trade show and conference this past week. I have literally hundreds of ruined shots that are mis-focussed, and it's a real annoyance.

The problem shots are of individuals at a lectern in a medium sized room. In the wide-angle shots (where the person's head would have been just about the size of the focus area brackets in the viewfinder), the camera has focussed on the background (which is about 20m away, through some windows).

Why, when the person's head fit the focus brackets, has the camera decided to focus on the background? I can only think that the actual focussing sensors are much larger than the brackets. More than a bit annoying.

So, anyone mapped the actual size of the sensors?

Chas

ps. and yes, I did realise that there was a problem and started using the speakers' ties as a focus point to solve the problem (their torsos being much larger than the focus brackets, so the sensors are at least smaller than that), but this was after a full day of shooting (jeez Nikon, if you're gonna have indicators of the area of focus, at least make those areas the same size as the sensors).

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow