Epson 3800 or online print service?

Started Nov 24, 2006 | Discussions thread
Ben_Egbert
Forum ProPosts: 20,228Gear list
Like?
Same boat here
In reply to Petes, Nov 24, 2006

I have used MPIX and have some really nice prints, and some that are not as expected. To use a service, you either need to figure out how to match their profile, or allow them to color adjust. But if you let them adjust colors, it is subjective. Yes, I have a calibrated monitor.

Then I started printing art papers on my Epson R300 to see what I could get, I was amazed at the huge increase in punch. More saturation, more detail etc. I also have a chance to reprint of I screw up, or to print small proofs to get the color and sharpening right (Arghh, why do we have to sharpen an image, the camera guys need to fix that).

I will never have a large volume, and could never justify home printing based on cost. But the cost of a print on line is not as cheap as you think. To get a 16x24, you need to buy a 20x30 and have it trimmed because nobody makes 35mm format paper. Then you need to pay shipping, and you can’t mix sizes, so each different size gets a shipping charge.

The clincher, you can’t buy an image printed on Art paper. Photography is a hobby, I try to keeps the cost in reason, but adding the printing stage to the process is to add more to the hobby itself.

-- hide signature --
 Ben_Egbert's gear list:Ben_Egbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow