2 things I dislike about the otherwise excellent 400D...

Started Nov 13, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DY
DY
Regular MemberPosts: 320
Like?
2 things I dislike about the otherwise excellent 400D...
Nov 13, 2006

I really enjoy my 400D but TWO things about this camera irritate me. And most of all, these two things could have easily been avoided.

And I'm sure many 400D users on this forum will agree with me.

Problem 1-

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you CAN'T have an external Canon flash (e.g. 200ex) to do AF assist and NOT fire the flash. I also believe that you CAN do it on the 30D. Canon simply decided to dumb down the camera and exclude this feature. Its very useful when I'm doing low light in-door shots or street photography where I don't want thef flash pulse going off. When you use the on board flash to do AF assist, in terms of getting people's attention, its the same as letting your flash go off- really distracting. Also, you drain you batteries in double quick time.

Really not happy Canon.

Problem 2-

I find the hand grip on the camera really TOO SMALL. Why can't Canon design a body with a decently sized grip I don't understand. It is way too small.... I find myself holding the camera with my little finger supporting the base of the camera. Basically I'm griping the camera with four fingers including the thumb. I went and picked up the Sony Alpha..... go try it and you'll know what I mean.

And of course, judging Canon from its past behaviour, there is basically NO CHANCE of the company releasing a simple firmware update to allow for AF assist only, using external flash. It would have been somewhat less serious if the camera used the 511 battery (again a larger grip may have accommodated the larger battery. But thats another gripe)

Having said this, the 400D is a great camera. I like it so much probably thats why these two shortcommings bother me so much too. Also because problem 1 interfers directly with my style of shooting.

With Canon deliberately dumbing down its cameras where it could have easily offered the feature across the range is just not acceptable. There are other things the xxD cameras have that distinguish them from the xxxD cameras... e.g. built and layout, plastic versus metal body. One doesn't need to resort to such 'gimmicks'.

DY

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow