PIX 2015

Best option for indoor no-flash wide-ish shots?

Started Nov 13, 2006 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Strawberry Pie
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Best option for indoor no-flash wide-ish shots?
Nov 13, 2006

I find myself in indoor situations often, sometimes with enough light but sometimes not, shooting meetings with 30-40 people in the room, with my D70. A flash is usually not an option. I have a 12-24 f/4 Tokina but I find I often have to increase ISO to get a usable shutter speed at f/4, resulting in noisy images. I can PP them, but that has its own disadvantages. I have a Nikon 35 f/2 and it produces beautiful images, but it's often not wide enough.

I would like to find a fast prime (ideally at least f/2) in the 20mm range having respectable image quality without huge size and weight, but the only options seem to be the Sigma 20 f/1.8 and Nikon 20 f/2.8. I own neither, so I have to evaluate them by what others say, and neither get stellar reviews. See, for example,

where the Nikkor demonstrates significant CA and the Sigma is not very sharp (plus it's so large that I don't think I could fit it in my camera back along with the other lenses I carry). My questions for this forum are:

1. What would you use for this situation?

2. Are the characterizations of these two lenses reasonable, or am I discounting them unfairly?

Thanks for your time and comments.

Strawberry Pie's gear list:Strawberry Pie's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow