Best option for indoor no-flash wide-ish shots?

Started Nov 13, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Strawberry Pie
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
Best option for indoor no-flash wide-ish shots?
Nov 13, 2006

I find myself in indoor situations often, sometimes with enough light but sometimes not, shooting meetings with 30-40 people in the room, with my D70. A flash is usually not an option. I have a 12-24 f/4 Tokina but I find I often have to increase ISO to get a usable shutter speed at f/4, resulting in noisy images. I can PP them, but that has its own disadvantages. I have a Nikon 35 f/2 and it produces beautiful images, but it's often not wide enough.

I would like to find a fast prime (ideally at least f/2) in the 20mm range having respectable image quality without huge size and weight, but the only options seem to be the Sigma 20 f/1.8 and Nikon 20 f/2.8. I own neither, so I have to evaluate them by what others say, and neither get stellar reviews. See, for example,

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/nikkor_20_28/index.htm
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_20_18/index.htm

where the Nikkor demonstrates significant CA and the Sigma is not very sharp (plus it's so large that I don't think I could fit it in my camera back along with the other lenses I carry). My questions for this forum are:

1. What would you use for this situation?

2. Are the characterizations of these two lenses reasonable, or am I discounting them unfairly?

Thanks for your time and comments.

Mike

Strawberry Pie's gear list:Strawberry Pie's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow