Started Nov 11, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ruth Ann
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?
24-105 f/4L v 24-70 f/2.8L - agonizing
Nov 11, 2006

Today I took my new 24-105 f/4L around D.C. for some testing. I think the lens is pretty sharp enough. But I do have to say the bokeh in some shots (moderately bright light) can be pretty distracting (see the shots of the sculpture at the Navy Memorial for examples of this). The link below is to a small gallery of JPEGS recorded from the camera at the Standard setting with a sharpening setting of 3:

http://ruth-ann.smugmug.com/gallery/2116372

I am sort of inclined to rent the 24-70 f/2.8L next weekend for something to compare these with. But, on the other hand, I know in my mind that each of these lenses has its own niche and I'll eventually just have to have both! (Impossible to choose? - - I love the extra reach of the 24-105, but I don't want to be disappointed with bad bokeh on those important shots. On the other hand, the IS is a nice feature of the 24-105. I got great shots in the metro stations at f8 handheld (1/6 second!). Argh!!!!!)

Since I'm still finding my way through understanding all the technical stuff, I welcome comments from folks who think the sharpness is off or the bokeh is not that bad so I just move on and enjoy these wonderful photo oppotrunties.

-- hide signature --

Thanks!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow