ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ravalls
Regular MemberPosts: 390
Like?
Got my full G7 kit together
Oct 26, 2006

Today I got the wide converter for my G7, so here is my full kit:

So far there is not much to report about the converter. It just works. I cannot discern any optical problems, but I haven't done any proper tests. The pics are normal wide angle pics with some distortion, but nothing dramatic. You can zoom all the way with the converter on, but then you just get a shorter lens by a factor of 0.75.

I will use it like I used the converters before: most of the time it is in the bag or vest pocket (fits well enough), and I take it out only when needed. Which is quite often, actually.

Sorry, I don't have anything to post, because there has already been too many pics on the forum showing the white salon of the south wing of my house : )

IIRC this converter is a bit smaller than the ones I had in my old Gs, but again IIRC it is heavier. I thought it weighed a ton, but then I took out my 20D.

If I wanted to reassure myself that this G-kit is a sensible choice, the assurance came then and there.

For the last days I have been shooting only with the G7, so now the 20D and 17-40 felt literally like two bricks glued together. Everything about the 20D was clumsy, slow and depressing. Lack of IS sucks badly!

I must say that I have grown to like G7 more every day. Today I took some handheld indoor portraits at ISO 800, and after some conservative Neat Image, I was more than happy with the results. Sorry, cannot post these either, but here is a little samplette:

The quality is easily good enough for publication, but that was not the only positive outcome.

The light came from a single 60 watt table lamp, so the exposure for that pic was ISO 800, 1/60, f/4.8. Then I changed to ISO 200, and got 1/20, f/4. Focal length was 25 mm, which is around 120 mm equiv.

The pics were needlesharp, vibrant, totally clean and practically identical to dslr pics in a similar setting. Handheld, indoors, single light bulb. Oh man!

Thomas' tip about sharpness setting has proved to be very important. I adjusted the sharpness to low, and now my files have much less artifacts. Try it.

Regards,

Ravalls

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow