Started Oct 25, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bob Gates
Senior MemberPosts: 1,462Gear list
Like?
help buying "rebate" lens for new 5D
Oct 25, 2006

I have been shooting with a 10D for three+ years now (over 50K clicks) and still love it, but the double rebates have finally gotten to me, and I’m going to buy a 5D, and I need some lens advice.

I have pretty good glass: the 17-40L, 24-70L and 70-200 f/4 L zooms and the 50 1.8 II, so I don’t really NEED a new lens, but since the double rebates mean that a $300 lens is virtually “free” I’m going to get one of the following: EF85 1.8, EF100 2.0, or EF100 2.8 macro.

I shoot pretty much anything I can get in front of my camera, from landscapes and nature to street shots and portraits, though I don’t do sports and haven’t done much macro/closeup (but might like to–the 24-70 gets pretty close up). I am thinking of this new lens as something I might take when I want to travel light and don’t want to carry my full kit, something that will give me more low-light possibilities than the zooms, and for candid/portrait use away from home.

I have been reading posts here and on the Fred Miranda forums, and as I understand it, each of these lenses is “almost L” quality, or at least all three have very good IQ. From what I’ve read, the 85 has some PF, but the bokeh is great. The macro capability of the 2.8 macro is attractive, but I will lose some of the low-light and bokeh possibilities of the 85/1.8, and this lens is a little less light/compact than the other two. The 100 2.0 seems a compromise between the two, and I can’t figure out whether, if I forgo the macro of the 2.8, it has any advantages over the 85.

If anyone has some specific points about the virtues of one of these three lenses that would help me decide, that would be great.

Thanks,

Bob
--
Bob Gates, Syracuse NY USA
http://bobgatesphoto.com

Bob Gates's gear list:Bob Gates's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow