Started Oct 11, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Edward Woods
Contributing MemberPosts: 566
Like?
SD 14 Price in USA = $1999
Oct 11, 2006

I just received an email from Sigma USA announcing the SD14 camera with a MSRP of $1999.

I think this is a big mistake on Sigma's part - that is way too expensive when compared to the competition. Yes the serious Sigma owners will pay the price but I am afraid that the majority of potential buyers will look at the camera at $2000 and compare it to cameras like the Pentax K10D for $900 Nikon D80 for $1000 and new Canon digital Rebel for around $800.

Sigma is pushing the 14 mp thing and we all know that the bayer crowd disputes this and will point out that Sigma is trying to sell a 4.6 mp camera for $2000 when you can buy 10 mp cameras for $800 and all those cameras have a much wider choice of lenses to use including all of the Sigma lenses.

I wish Sigma the best but this is very disappointing and is going to be a tough sale.

By the way, the announcement does NOT include a release date. It was supposed to November and now they are saying mid December. If this is true than Sigma will completely miss the Christmas buying - another big mistake.

Oh well - I will wait to see what the images look like. Noise has always been a big problem for me as well the smaller buffer with only 6 images - something they did not fix with the SD14. What sense does it make to increase the frame rate to 3 fps second when you can only store 6 images. You run out of gas in 2 seconds and miss shots.

Ed

http://www.pbase.com/edwardwoods

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow