How am I? I'm prime, how 'bout you? (a 24-70L owner)

Started Oct 10, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
threediii
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?
How am I? I'm prime, how 'bout you? (a 24-70L owner)
Oct 10, 2006

Well I just got my Canon 24-70L back from the service center in New Jersey, and I have to say that it's a much improved lens. More like what I expected to receive in the first place. Zoom action is now buttery smooth (it was a bit difficult before servicing), weird haze is gone, much sharper...IQ is just overall superior to what I sent in. So I should be happy, shouldn't I?

Problem is that for the last 3 weeks I've only been using my primes (Canon 35L and 50 1.4) and I think I'm ditching the 24-70L. I like the idea of a zoom with gorgeous IQ, and the 24-70L is now pretty close, but, darn it, the 35L is just magical. I think if I'd gotten a decent 24-70L copy right off the bat, I would have been OK. But not now. I keep going over shots and comparing IQ to my 35L, and I'm just not getting the consistency or overall quality product that I get with the primes, and it bugs me. So bye-bye 24-70L and hello 135L to round out the lineup (don't have the cash for the 85L or the new 50L for that matter).

If I want to play with zooms, maybe I'll get the Canon 28-300L I wanted a while back. How much are kidneys going for these days anyway?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow