Started Oct 10, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gkreth
Senior MemberPosts: 2,974
Like?
TC-E15ED (1.5x( vs TC-E17ED (1.7x)
Oct 10, 2006

I've read with interest the recent TC-E17ED threads; it is an excellent teleconverter, but unfortunately far too expensive for me.

I'm considering the TC-E15ED 1.5x as an alternative. Although not as much reach, 1.5X is sorta close to 1.7X (630mm vs 714mm, 84mm of difference). That's still significant, but then again, the TC-E15ED sells for about $300 less than the TC-E17ED.

Are there any "issues" I should know about? I realize that the 50mm thread is unusual, but NextPhoto has a 55mm-50mm step-down ring. I've read CK's web page on the TC-E15ED:
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/

So I know about the significant light falloff and minimum zoom needed (343mm, or 9.8X, for the TC-E15ED, and 140mm, or 4X, for the TC-E17ED).

There is also the weight - 22.5 oz vs. 9.6 oz; the TC-E17ED is about 13 oz heavier.

And filter size: 58mm vs. 86mm. (If I were to spend $400 on a lens, I'd definitely get a protective dual-coated UV filter for it.)

I've also loked at the comparison shots. It seems like the TC-E15ED has the same (or nearly the same) resolving power as the TC-E17ED; the only thing different is the lower magnification.

Seeking a consensus of opinions, if that's possible....

Thanks.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow