Photographing soap bubbles? Show me your bubbles!

Started Oct 2, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ednaz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,376
Like?
Photographing soap bubbles? Show me your bubbles!
Oct 2, 2006

Somebody here always seems to know answers to odd things...

I'm at a loss on how to photograph bubbles - not the foamy bubbles in your sink, but the individual floating bubbles that kids blow from soap solution. I need to be able to shoot them both as "whole bubbles" - and filling the frame enough that I have lots of pixels to work with in compositing - and close up to capture the wavy cool surface activity that goes on in a soap bubble.

Any experience, advice, recommendations, all welcome. Lighting? Techniques? Solutions?

I'm hoping to capture a few outdoors, with clouds in the sky behind them, and a few indoors in a studio setting, with black backdrop, white backdrop, and chroma-key. I've been working with large bubbles and normal lenses (normal meaning not macro). Is it easier to work at macro with smaller bubbles? I've gotten a couple of small bubbles sitting on a bubble wand - so that I don't have to chase them - but the wand is a massive pain to try to photoshop out, and I'm still not getting the shape definition that want in the image. The bubbles on a wand don't have a natural looking shape to them.

Is there a way to get more emphasis and clarity on the surface tension activity?

Show me your bubbles!

Thanks.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow