Started Sep 6, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Glenn W.
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,421
Like?
Returning 'bad' copys of lenses???
Sep 6, 2006

Well, I had to do it... The first time I've done this... I purchased a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Tamron lens after reading MANY good things about this lens... Yet I was pretty disapointed with the one I got. It seems to have a fairly significant front focus problem.

I REALLY need a good lens in this focal length range, and at a price that is around $500 +- $100 or so... So the Tamron seems like the most likely one...

My problem... I really don't know exactly what the best way to proceed is... I already returned the Tamron I bought previously... I don't know if I should continue to try and buy another from the same retailer, try a new retailer, or try a differnt brand/model of lens...

The Canon 17-40mm f4 L lens is a option I'm considering, but then I think I would miss the faster f2.8 aperture... I really don't feel like paying $1100 for a 17-55mm IS f2.8....

So... Is it really reasonable to keep buying Tamron 17-50mm lenses till I get a 'good' copy? or should I just buy another and send it in if I get another 'bad' copy? My problem with that last option, is that if 'good' or recalibrated lens is still not satisfactory to me, then I'm pretty much stuck... with a lens I'm not happy with... (not sure what kind of resale value there is in a lens that I'm not happy with)...

OH, also... about return poicys... In some thread I read that someone suggested 'amazon.com' for their '30 day' return policy... Yet when I look at their actual policy, it says a "NEW unopened" return... or be charged a fee, etc... Now, I guess this may simply mean that the lens better look like NEW when you return it... but I'm a little uncomfortable with the wording of their 30 Day return policy... Anyone have any comments on this amazon.com and their return policy?

I guess another option is that I go to a local store, try the lens and only buy it if it looks like it's 'good'... but then this would almost require me taking a laptop in the store with my camera and really looking closely at the focus and IQ.... Not to mention I'm not even sure I can find a local store then stocks any of the lenses I'm considering, perticularly the Tamron...

I'd also be interested in hearing general storys about people and places where they really had to work to get a 'good' copy of a lens...

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
oopsNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow