Anybody else annoyed by limits of TC-80N3 timer controller?

Started Aug 31, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Francis Sawyer
Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?
Anybody else annoyed by limits of TC-80N3 timer controller?
Aug 31, 2006

Hi all.

I bought a Canon interval timer to use for time-lapse with my 20D. I asked Canon directly if there was any limit to the number of exposures that you could program with it. The answer was a flat "no."

This turns out not to be entirely true. There are several modes on this thing, including a total-time-span mode and a total-number-of-pictures mode.

Sometimes you know how many frames you want. Well, the TC-80N3's total-exposures mode is inexplicably limited to 99 exposures. Yes, 99, despite the fact that anyone with a digital SLR will probably have large flash cards that accommodate way more pictures than that even in raw mode.

So you're stuck either letting the thing run until the card fills up, or doing the math to figure out your frame rate * the number of frames you want and then setting the time span on the controller appropriately.

This isn't a huge deal because there are workarounds, but WTF is up with 99 exposures? Anybody buy one of these recently? I'm curious as to whether they've addressed this defect.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow