Started Aug 31, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Greg Beasley
Regular MemberPosts: 337
Like?
Out gunned by 22mp leaf back
Aug 31, 2006

I have a question for you die hard commercial pro's.

I have been working for a company 2 of the last 3 years. Last year I was out gunned on a bid for a commercial project because I was using the same Fuji S2 that I used in 2003 and 2004. I told the company that I had a new S3 and that is was sharp.... but the guy bidding against me was using a 22 mp leaf back on a Mamiya Medium format. They loved my work but the resolution from the Leaf blew them (and me) away. They print on large boxes for playground equipment and they have banner ads hanging in large retail hardware stores so size really does matter.

The other guy was a commercial shooter. My wife and I are experienced with children so our work reflected our style. Well, they called me today and they want me back. I guess Mr. 22mp didn't work out.

My question:

Should I consider purchasing a D2x for the job. Shooting RAW isn't an option with the Fuji S3. I can't function with a 9 file buffer so this would need to be all in jpg (we shot all jpgs in 2003 and 2004). The D2x would help me with RAW, focus and outright speed but would I compromise in color and DR. Would a D200 be an alternative?

I need help

This is an example of a full length shot of the playground from both cameras. They cropped in one of the swing hooks.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
d2xNew
D2xNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow