Started Aug 31, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ducht Oldtimer
Regular MemberPosts: 315
Like?
A 630 or A 640?
Aug 31, 2006

Hello everybody. I am new on this forum. Please read Dutch Oldtimer instead of Ducht! I could not correct this typing error afterwards.

My question: Soon I am going to buy my first P&S digital camera and selected for this the new Powershot A 630 or the Powershot A 640. The difference is 8 vs 10 Megapixel. When I read the test of the Ricoh GR-D the author mentioned that" it showes the noisy result of squeezing 8 million pixels onto a 1/1.8" CCD." This worries me, because the preferred black A 640 has 10 million pixels squeezed on a 1/1.8"CCD as well! I know that Canon is not Ricoh but pixels are pixels.However, seeing the fantastic results at higher ISO of the Fuji F 30 it shows that not al CCDs are equal. The reason for prefering the new Canon Powershot are the for me better handling ergonomics, swing LCD and optical viewfinder for special situations. I own a Nikon F-801 SLR and I like the Canon's right hand grip as I am used to on the Nikon. I find it difficult to hold and steady those ultra small P&S cameras like the Fuji F 30, hence my choice for the new Canon.

Anyone who could advice me on the best choice: The 8 million or 10 million Megapixel Powershot ?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
A630New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow