Started Aug 29, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
trisweb
Contributing MemberPosts: 691
Like?
E-300 Stolen, what do I do next? E-1?
Aug 29, 2006

My E-300 + 2-lens kit was stolen last month out of my car, and hasn't been recovered since. I don't expect to see it back. Sigh...

I've decided to stick with Oly, not only because I'm expecting news of more FT bodies, but because I just like them.

Hence, I think I want to get an E-1 + 14-54, mainly because I think the E-1 looks like a solid camera, which is the thing I liked most about the 300. I don't need megapixels as I'm publishing mostly to the web, and I don't need super high-ISO quality or ultra-features (ala live view), so I think I'll be fine there. And my eyes are good, so I'm not afraid of the small on-camera LCD. I'm mainly concerned with overall image quality (not pixel-peeping, up to a point) and good color reproduction in natural settings, mostly daylight.

First question: any E-1 users moving from the 300 miss anything? Is it an upgrade, or is the "older" E-1 missing some things?

Second: is the 50-200 worth every penny, or will the 40-150 (which I had and loved) do alright for the time being? I'll need the tele for photographing a marching band in the upcoming college football season.

Last question: should I just do it? I found a good deal (I think) for an E-1+14-54 (both used) for $750. Is it better to find them new somewhere and spend the extra $100 or so for warranty, newness, etc?

Any general advice is also appreciated. Thanks!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow