s80? A630? A710IS? only minimal differences now?

Started Aug 25, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pavinder
Regular MemberPosts: 213
Like?
s80? A630? A710IS? only minimal differences now?
Aug 25, 2006

Having been extremely happy with my S45 and 20D, I now really need to replace the S45 soon - it has lasted through rainforests, waterfalls, deserts, and various impacts and generally rough behaviour, but of late has been giving as many "striped" shots as good ones.

But with the release of these new cameras, I'm becoming reallly confused - the differences seem to be becoming smaller. As far as I can tell, they ALL have fully manual settings (my number 1 priority) and the same LCD sizes, and metering modes, and movie modes, image parameters, and so on.

Apart from differences in body shape/button positioning and the types of batteries they use, and the slight pixel difference (7 or 8MP, pretty much the same...), as far as I can tell, there's little else to differentiate them:

The S80 has the wider angle lens.
The A630 has the twisting LCD.
The A710IS has image stabilization and longer zoom.

Please can someone enlighten me to anything I may have missed in these generalisations? People still seem to be saying the S80 is more a prosumer camera rather than point-and-shoot, but the specs don't show this.

It seems that it has come down to a simple choice of camera shape and which is the priority between IS/wide angle/twistable LCD.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow