Started Aug 24, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tuthdoc99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,629
Like?
E-500 vs E-1 question....
Aug 24, 2006

I know this is probably like comparing apples and oranges but...

I already have the E-500 and am very happy with it and the images that I get with it....basicaly I feel that if I don't get a good image it is the operator and not the camera.

The thing is that I am enamored with the weatherproofing of the E-1 and see wonderful images posted on here with them all the time. I miss some opportunities because my E-500 isn't weatherproofed....example is a day I took my daughter to the beach, wet sand all over everything so I never took the camera out of the bag for fear of getting sand in places it shouldn't be and I am thinking that if it had been an E-1 with the 14-54 the sand would not have been a concern, just give it a rinse after leaving the beach.

The thing stopping me from buying an E-1 and selling the E-500 is that I like that I can blow an image up to 20x30 and it still look really good. My concern is that I will see too much of a difference in the loss of 3 megapixels when printed that large. Do I print that large regularly....no, but I like the idea that if I get an image I like enough to want a poster size print it will still look good.

I don't really want two bodies. I only have the two kit lenses and not the weather resistant glass at this point. I am not a pro but an entheusiastic hobbyist. I doubt that I will be able to afford whatever the next new Olympus pro offering will be and the E-1 bodies are a bargain right now. If my E-500 was weather resistant I would not even care what was coming out.

So I guess the main question for me is......is the 3 megapixel difference visibly noticeable at the 11x14 to 20x30 print size?
--
I wish these trees weren't here, I want to see the forest!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow