Started Jan 1, 2002 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mike Bartenhagen
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
New S30 user please help.
Jan 1, 2002

I recently purchased an S30 and I am having some problems and would like to ask the experts a few questions. First I would like to say that when I started looking for a digital camera I did quite a bit of research. My first goal was to find a camera that could replace our film camera. This would avoid having two cameras which is what we did when we had a hand me down .5 megapixel cameral that we got from my dad. We would take digital and film pictures of the same thing. I also wanted to find a still camera and a digital video camera in one. I know they make these but none that had the 3 + megapixel still camera combined with the digital video camera.

I have been taking pictures with this camera for about one month now and I recently sent some pictures to ofoto to have printed in additon to printing some on my HP printer. For the most part I have been pleased but I am having one major problem. In many of the pictures I have taken the skin tones are very poor. In fact in many of the the skin tones are a blue\grey. They aren't just off a little they are awful. I will say I thought that there were other problems with the camera such as to much redeye, some pictures not in focus that I thought should be, etc. but I looked at some film pictures we taken over the last few years and I quickly discovered that film pictures are far from perfect. I guess I never looked at the film pictures as hard as I have been reviewing the digital pictures.

I did take pictures for the yearbook in highschool many (to many) years ago so I do have some understanding of f stops, film speeds, shutter speeds, etc. and I know this camera has many settings and I will try these but I want a camera that my wife can set on auto and take decent pictures.

What I would like to know is why I am getting the poor skin tones. It appears it may be the worst under flouresent lights but I have looked at film pictures taken under the same lighting and I have no problems with the skin tones. Other than this I am very pleased with the camera.

Would a different cameara help, possibly going to a 4 meg camera? I know that I could probably correct this problem with software but like I said I am trying to replace my film camera and if I have to spend 4 hours a week correcting color on pictures I am not sure this is something I want to do.

One last question: how long untill I will be able to purchase a DVC with a 3 meg resolution and a DVR combo for around 1200.00? I have a JVC 55 U and really like the camera and the size and I would be very happy to have this camera with a 3.3 still camera in it. --Mike

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow