Started Aug 11, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
undefined
Regular MemberPosts: 461
Like?
LX1 or FX01 or TZ1 (need advice)
Aug 11, 2006

I've read so much about these cameras I think my head will soon explode. Surely I will read more once I finally settle down with one, but that is for another day.

I'm looking to replace my trusty Canon S200 (Elph, 2mp, old!). I tried out the Canon S3 and it really isn't doing it for me. Pictures are OK, but the size is not conducive to good lightweight travel. As my wife and I are active lifestyle types who backpack everywhere we go, I travel light. I like a camera that I can grab and snap a shot at a moments notice, capturing the moment more than framing the perfect photo. I do not carry a camera bag, nor will I carry more than 16 - 20oz of camera + equipment on any given trip. I'm partial to AA batteries because I can use lithiums that last longer, and I can always buy more batteries no matter where we are. That being said, I can live with Li-Ion batteries so long as after market bateries are available cheap (

I photo mostly landscape and macros. Some evening use, and some underwater photography. I'd love to get a new camera that has an underwater housing on the market so that I can later use the camera while diving.

After my recent experience with the Canon S3, I've narrowed my choices (unless you have a better suggestion) down to the following models:

Canon SD700 IS - Love the low noise, newer version of my ancient S200, underwater housing available today
Panasonic LX1 - Love the 16:9, 28mm, 8mp! No underwater housing.

Panasonic FX01 - 28mm! Good shots on flickr, and I Love the recent IR shots posted here. Underwater housing available.

Panasonic TZ1 - Big zoom, although I don't know how much I'll use it. Underwater housing available.
Panasonic LZ5 - Cheap! Uses AA batteries, 6x zoom seems nice.

So, for a basic P&S type guy (I might want to, very seldom, muck around with a night shot on manual mode) who will use whichever camera heavily (read: 300 - 600 shots per day while travelling, 15 - 20 days per year minimum + parties and social events) which camera would you select? I don't do much low light evening shots, and I have pretty much accepted that if I want flash-free evening shots I can choose the F30 or DSLR. Prints will be mostly 5x7 - 8x10, with the periodic large (13 x 19, 16x20) print of a special shot. All prints over 5x7 will be heavily played with in PS prior to sending to the printer.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow