Started Aug 10, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Big Lar
Senior MemberPosts: 1,065
Like?
Humpback Whales
Aug 10, 2006

I can't stand it - gotta show off the Humpie pics. The B.C. Ferries northern routes are called "The Discovery Route" for good reason. I lucked out and made the run from Bella Coola to Port Hardy (12 hours) on the "Queen of Chilliwack," same ship and same captain as the terrific trip last year. (but a lot more expensive now) We stopped to watch whales 5 or 6 times on the run, and had a wonderful time. If you ever have a chance to go on this trip, it's been well worth the money both times I've gone on it. Here's the Queen, last year in the rain at Ocean Falls, B.C......

Seems like a guy's always a blink slow on these shots, and I put the lessons learned last year with the Orcas to work. This shot worked well, tho' a little blurred............

Then, a baby Humpback jumped, copying mama. Take a look at the shape of the jaw on this little guy. You'll soon see the reason (I think) for that shape......

Baby had no sooner gone under when Mama exploded into the air. What a sight. Right in front of her, you can see where baby hit the water.....

I've seen, on National Geographic or Discovery Channel, how the whales will circle a school of herring and blow bubbles to herd the little fish into a compact ball, then come up thru them with their mouth open to scoop them up. What a gas to see it for myself ! ! ! The grooves on the lower jaw stretch out like a pelican's beak to hold an enormous amount of water.........

Then, they strain the water thru the baleen on the upper jaw, and swallow the fish left behind. You can clearly see the bulging jaw, and the water flowing along that specially shaped jaw. Fascinating, and I didn't even know I had the shot till the 3rd or 4th time I went thru the pics on the computer. What a great way to go on a boat ride, eh ??

Lar.

-- hide signature --

Larry Bourne
Airplane Builder; Fish Chaser; Desert Rat; Hummingbird Hunter; WSSA #23; MAA

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow