Started Aug 7, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ken_5D
Forum ProPosts: 11,820
Like?
[8 img] - My First Outing with Sigma 10-20
Aug 7, 2006

By far my largest lens investment. And having never shot anything wider than the kit.. I tried a lot different shots to see what worked and what didn't. This was a family outing to Snoqualmie Railroad Days

My impressions of the lens are much lighter than I expected but nice build.. smooth zoom. I took a couple of shots of book just inches from the lens and the distortion was not too bad for this wide. Shooting buildings head on will create a need to do some perspective adjustment. But this is a whole new type of shot to learn!!

I took a few shots on my Maxxum 5 body to see how bad the vignetting was. At 10mm it is a round cycle like a fish-eye effect. In the viewfinder the vignetting seems to become very average at 14mm.. But on the real prints it is always there and extreme on the edges. Though I think you could with the range get some good wide shots that had to be cropped even on 35mm film.

My core set of lenses are now.

Sigma 10-20 4-5.8
Sigma 24-135 2.8-4.5
Sigma 70-300 4-5.6 DG APO

I did PP these shots adding some sharpness and cropping.. a couple I rotated to straight because I took them blind and they had some tilt.

So this is not a lens test as much as a "results possible" posting.

The first are some standard wide shots...
20mm

18mm This is the "Mar-T" Cafe used in the old TV sow Twin Peaks

10mm from inside train. The bridge support on the upper right wasn't even in my view through the window!!

One wouldn't think of the 10-20 as a portrait lens but here are two of my daughter who was sitting about 3 feet from me in the next window..when I took these. In this case the field of view is so wide I just stuck the camera out the window and shot. There was some straightening and cropping for get the final composition.
20mm

10mm

And the end of the train ride it comes to a stop at the edge of a cliff just past the famous Snoqualmie falls. My car didn't stop for these shots, I took these while moving.. I threw in a 24mm shot for comparison of how the extra wide range can change the composition.

24mm (Sig 24-135)

20mm

10mm

-- hide signature --

Ken
KM 5D - Sig 24-135 2.8.. The best lens steal today

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow