Batch rename/sort image files from different cameras - help!

Started Aug 1, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
EdwardR
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
Batch rename/sort image files from different cameras - help!
Aug 1, 2006

I have a Rebel XT and an A75 point and shoot. I usually shoot in RAW+jpg on the XT and of course the A75 is jpg only. I am looking for a way to sort the image files on my hard drive by the date and time the pictures were taken and then rename them consecutively, without losing the syncronization of the filenames between the RAW+jpg pairs.

My usual workflow is to download the images from the camera using Canon's software and name them by year, quarter, and an index i.e. 2006_Q3_xxxx.jpg/cr2. The Canon software gives the same name to the RAW and jpg image pairs from the RAW+jpg shots except that they have the appropriate extension. I like this. However, if both cameras have been used since the last download, and I then download the two cameras one after the other, the numbering of the downloaded pictures between the two cameras won't be in sequence with the times the pictures were taken. I want to sort the pictures by the date/time taken and then rename them consecutively without losing the synchronization of the filenames between the RAW+jpg pairs. I have Windows XP Home SP2, Photoshop 7, IrfanView, and the bundled Canon software including ZoomBrowser. I know that Windows Explorer can sort the image files by the date the picture was taken, but renaming them within Windows Explorer loses the synchronization between the names. Likewise with the batch rename with Irfan.

Is there a way to do what I want with the software I have or with a shareware? I believe that Breeze can do it, but I am not in a position to shell out what for me is a lot of money on software right now.

Thanks

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow