Started Jul 29, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Forrest
Forum ProPosts: 14,666
Like?
135/2 = True Love
Jul 29, 2006

It hasn't left my camera since it arrived, two or three weeks ago. Of course this is only the second photo I've shot in the past week, since I broke my rib and radial head, but I'm starting to heal up and refuel the love affair.

Turn out 135 mm is the ideal length for portraits, and pretty ideal for smallish things, basically stuff that isn't in my background. But I'm so blown away but the images this lens gives me, that I'm looking for things to shoot with it. I really wish I could shoot landscapes through this glass.

I have a feeling I'm going to start bringing the 135 on hikes with me and leave the 50/1.4 behind more often. ( As soon as I finish healing up, anyway. ) Most of the 'scapes I shoot would never work through any tele, but some of the smaller, more intimate scenes might. Still, I don't think there's any higher praise I could give a lens.

So, on my way to get a coffee this morning, I noticed this leaf in the garden outside the apartment building. This isn't a particularly artistic shot, but the subject fascinates me.

And here we have a 200 % crop to see some of the detail:

Of course the sharpness is amazing, but the contrast is even more incredible. The 50 is the closest lens I have in terms of resolution, but the color rendition and contrast feel dull and lifeless by comparison. You can close the gap in Photoshop, but the 135 blows me away before I touch the images.

Plus, the viewfinder is brighter, and the wide-open sharpness gives it a bite. A lot like the 300/4 non-IS. This doesn't show up in the photos, but I enjoy using the lens a little more because of it.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow