Started Jul 20, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mike Overly
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?
The Noise about Noise
Jul 20, 2006

I recently made a "noisy" FX01 my official pocket camera. I read Simon's review on this site (spot-on) as well as others. Most reviews demonstrated this cam's inability to produce clean high ISO photos, but in the end I decided I could live with it considering that most of my pocketcam shots happen outdoors.

After using this high-pixel-density camera for awhile and comparing the results to my pretty-much "perfect" old Canon S230 under some difficult shot conditions, I must say that even the "noisy" low-light shots are as good or better when re-sized down to the Canon's native 3.2m format on-screen. Some are awfully close at full 6m resolution.

Since "just" 3.2m can produce outstanding 8x10s (I even have a beautiful poster-sized print hanging in my living room that was made from a rezzed-up 3.2m file) I can't help but wonder if all the noise about noise in pocketcams is mainly ... noise. Is everyone really expecting to make wall posters out of no-flash indoor pocketcam pics? (Crops are a different story, of course).

Unless these new pixel packers start blowing the exposure or otherwise ruining a good 8x10 print I see them as being as useful as ever for this segment of camera.

Rather than complain about noise that most prints will never show, maybe we should start complaining about the uneccessary file storage and bandwidth these infuriating marketing ploys hog.

Or the re-sustained high prices new pixel pushers demand ...

Or the lack of innovation in other areas of camera design as companies chase the pixel market ...

Or ??? ...

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow