ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ironbuddha
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?
LBA Advice DA40/2.8 or FA50/1.4?
Jul 19, 2006

Hi All,

I've had my DS for a little over 3 weeks now and already, I'm getting the itch to pick up some nice primes. I'm in a bit of a quandry here since despite the fact that I shoot C*n primarily on film, I decided to go with Pentax for my DSLR.

I decided in addition to the 18-125 Sigma that came with the camera that I'd really like a wide, normal, short telephoto and mabye a macro to round out the kit (of course this won't be happening in one fell swoop). My dilema is this - do I go with the DSLR specifc DA lenses or a traditional lens designed for 35. I like the idea of having complete compatability in the event that Pentax decides to go full frame and not having to re-invest in lenses.

I'm having a hard time deciding between the DA 40/2.8 or FA 50/1.4. I'd love to have both, but am afraid that the focal lengths are too close to warrant it.

short tele is a bit of a no brainer - FA 77/1.8 ltd would be ideal, and on the wide end of things, there doesn't look to be much of a choice other than the DA 21/3.2 ltd due to the 1.5x crop factor.

One of the thoughts I did have was to get DA 40/2.8 and reserve the 50mm focal length for the macro. However, as I've had little experience with macro work, I don't know if the 50 or 100 would be more practical.

Comments and advice are appreciated. Thanks.

-
Lib

ironbuddha's gear list:ironbuddha's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow