Started Jul 19, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
naturephotog
Regular MemberPosts: 294
Like?
Received the lightsphere
Jul 19, 2006

today from Vistek (clear not cloud). Now comes the testing and tuning before the weekend wedding. Gary Fongs video is very informative. But, he neglects to go into a couple of things in any great detail - the use of the built-in diffuser on the flash and shooting with the flash tilted at a 45 degree angle while shooting verticals. He mentions it briefly. But, I tried both and I don't see a noticeable difference after flipping down the built-in

diffuser. And, tilting it to 45 degrees causes the shadows to become extra harsh behind the subject.

I never really noticed the harshness of direct flash that much until I shot consecutive pics with and without the lightsphere. Nor did the shadows on the face using bounce flash bother me much (probably because I was concentrating on the elimination of shadows too much).

By purchasing the lightsphere I wanted to be able to retire my flash bracket. I've been shadowless for many years. And, it is a very important part of my photography. But, I think it is equally important to get rid of the "flashlight in the face" look. So, I traded off a little more shadow for alot more diffusion.

For those of you who are using the lightsphere on your 20 or 30D (preferably with the 580 or equivalent), are you upset with the shadows? Or are they acceptable for the most part? Is there certain settings you prefer in manual mode? How about picture styles or parameters? Anything custom?

Please let's not turn this into a RAW vs JPEG battle again. I shoot JPEG only so I am looking for advice that will coincide with the actual photography aspect of it, not computer manipulation.

Thanks.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow