Started Jul 18, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kiet
Regular MemberPosts: 185Gear list
Like?
Gallery rejected my 5D image
Jul 18, 2006

I’ve been doing landscape photography for about 20 years mostly with medium and large format. I’ve had off and on representation from various galleries. In recent years I slowly migrated to digital; at first using digital as a compositional and exposure tool. But it got more use as resolution and other attributes improved… I haven’t shot film for 6 months.

Recently I got a nice shot from my 5D so I printed a 16x24 (Lightjet) and brought it to the gallery for sale. The curator graciously turned me down citing it was “… too digital”.

I never expected an image from a 5D to be on par with 4x5 but I thought the print was decently even though it did exhibit ‘digitalness’ (mostly in clouds and tree tips).

For the pros out there…

Do you find a lot of resistance for digital capture? Can most curators distinguish a 12MP capture from film assuming a drum scan?

Note: I’m not rushing to shoot more film. This just mean I need to carry both sets more often.

kiet's gear list:kiet's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow