Aperture Serial Number Block - Workarounds?

Started Jul 17, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jeffrey Osterman
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Aperture Serial Number Block - Workarounds?
Jul 17, 2006

If I try to run Aperture on both my desktop and my laptop at the same time, I get a "protection" error message saying that the same serial number cannot be in use by two computers on the same network at the same time. I'd appreciate it if someone could post instructions for using LittleSnitch or the Apple built-in firewall to block this license check.

My workflow is that I export projects from my desktop machine, load them on to my laptop so I can work on them while in transit, and then export them back from the laptop to the desktop machine. A typical instance of when I have Aperture running on both the laptop and the desktop machine would be when I get home, am working in Aperture on the desktop, and realize I need to transfer projects from the laptop to the desktop. If Aperture didn't have the license check code, I would leave Aperture running on the desktop, go over to the laptop, launch Aperture, leave the project export running while I do some work on the desktop copy of Aperture, import the project into the desktop Aperture library and then quit the laptop copy of Aperture. My workflow with the license block is that I need to quit the desktop copy of Aperture, go to the laptop, launch Aperture, export the library, find something else to do for 15-20 minutes, check the laptop every 5 minutes or so to see when it's done, quit Aperture on the laptop, reload Aperture on the desktop and then finally import the exported project. It's clumsy to say the least.

The license specifically allows me to install and run the software on both my desktop and laptop. Using the software in the way that I want would be squarely within my license rights, but it's blocked by undocumented functionality in the application.

Thanks much in advance.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow