Started Jul 15, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sysadam
Senior MemberPosts: 1,251
Like?
First Portable Lighting Setup Advice?
Jul 15, 2006

I did search the forums for a few keywords, but I didn't find exactly what I was looking for, and figured someone here could help.

I've done a little bit of studio work through a local studio that rents the space and the lighting equipment. I've got a Canon 20D - the studio supplies: a PocketWizard trans/receiver, a Flash Controller(?) Box, and a slew of lights on stands, umbrellas, diffusers, whatever.

I would like to purchase SOMETHING like a small kit - preferably two lights, with stands, and some way to trigger them. I understand that pocketwizards are EXPENSIVE, and so is the flash-controller-box (the correct name eludes me), so What are my other options? I'm having trouble digging up the proper research to figure this out.

If this can be had for under $500, I'd love it. I did check out the AlienBees site and saw what appeared to be good deals, but since I don't really know much about what I'd be getting, I couldn't be sure.
So i'm looking for a bit of background 'learning' and purchasing advice!

IE: A list of things I need, from the ground up.... and preferable a quick description on what each one does, in case it's not immediately apparent to me!

Also, if possible - I did say portable. I'd love to be able to use this setup outside - so maybe a reflector is something I should throw in there?

Below is an example of a collage from a recent studio shoot. The male model in the photos needed headshots (an opera singer), so the lighting and background are plain.

-- hide signature --

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow