Started Jul 7, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
desertpig
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?
Considering a new long lens..... yes, another BIGMA question
Jul 7, 2006

I know this subject has been discussed before (maybe to death) but I am weighing (literally) my options for a long lens. I currently shoot mostly with my trusty 70-200L on a 5D or 1DS body I usually have a 1.4 converter installed so I am getting about 280mm max. I find myself often wishing I had more reach ... that said, I have 3 options - a> 400mm 5.6L Prime (very reasonable and light weight lens, about $1K) b> 400mm 2.8L Prime amazing lens, but heavy and unGodly expensive) and c> Sigma 50-500mm "Bigma". I am used to sharp pics, and my 70-200 is so sharp that I can take reasonably close crops like the ones below and still end up with reasonable results (the seagull was shot at ISO 600 at 280mm and 30 yards away. The elephant seals were over 100 yards away) I am drawn to the BIGMA due to its light weight, relative inexpensive price, and zoom range but I have not been overly impressed with the photos I have seen posted here. I have not seen any pro quality stuff shot with the Bigma posted so I don't have much to go on (I'm certainly not the authority on photography but I at least know the diff between camera shake, aberration, and distortion and all the pics I have seen posted looked mostly like camera shake due to amatuer handling) So - I know the 400mm2.8 is the best money can buy, but I don't think I can take the 6 pounds and $5K... are there any shooting pros out there who have used the Bigma and consider it a good working lens or should I just scrap that idea ? I really like the 400mm 5.6 due to its low weight, but the 5.6 might render it useless in all but the brightest conditions... My eye won't let me compromise quality so I have been fighting with these options...... any good shooters out there have any advice for me ??

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow!New
Re:New
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow