Started Jul 1, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mike Overly
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?
The SD Elph Quandry
Jul 1, 2006

Background: My first Elph was the original S100 ... and a few years later I upgraded to an S230 for the video mode and other improvements. I noticed then that the S230 took sharper, cleaner photos than my A70 (not to mention the S100) and have since used the S230 for my pocket camera, and even as a primary camera for one vacation where I didn't want to run my DSLR through airport security.

My kids have recently gotten into photography, and I've let them take turns with the S100. But I've considered giving them the CF Elphs and upgrading to either an SD600 or the Panasonic FX-01 with its hyped-up "Leica" lens.

After comparing the output of these newer 3x & 4x zoom cameras it's amazing how much better the output of the S230 remains, particularly in edge-to-edge sharpness. Even with the faster speed and video modes of the new generation of tiny cameras, it's hard to rationalize buying one to replace this four-year-old 3.2 mp Elph only to get a downgrade in image quality at that size.

It looks like the 3x and 4x lenses on the SD Elphs are trying to get too much zoom out of such a small lens. What am I missing?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow