ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mark murphy
Forum MemberPosts: 63Gear list
Like?
Microsoft acquires iView - I was there before
Jun 27, 2006

Well it's really sad.

I first met with Yan when I was running Apple's software group in Europe at the Apple Expo in the BDC in London. We'd just announced iPhoto and I remember assuring him that this would be the making of iView not the breaking of it. It would bring more people into the fold of digital media asset management - as we called it then - and then iView Media would go from strength to strength. A few years later when I'd left Apple I bumped into one of his developers and suggested that they do a windows version. Later they went from strength to strength, producing a world class product. Meanwhile of course, Apple has moved onwards with Aperture and yet still iView MediaPro has a 'ground swell' of support and a stunning program.

So selling to Microsoft should be viewed as just rewards for a group of people who stuck with Apple and produced a sterling product that responded to the will of it's customers more than any other product in the Apple domain - Yan, guys I salute you.

Now for the future - I'm afraid that Yan's letter reminds me very prophetically of the first presentation of Halo at the Apple WWDC in San Jose at the turn of the millenium. Jason and Alex the founders of Bungie showed off Halo, it was a proud moment for all of us at Apple, Peter Tamte had worked with the guys to help produce what would have been THE Games KILLER APP for Apple.

A few months later it was all over, despite assurances from Bungie that the Mac version of Halo would be ready within six months, it was killed off for four more years - and appeared on the XBox first. So who bought Bungie, who led us down the garden path? Of course it was Microsoft!

So sorry Yan, I know you mean well, but it'll all be blown up in a few months - as far as the Mac is concerned we can kiss iView MediaPro goodbye - iView MediaPro is dead - long live Aperture.

mark murphy's gear list:mark murphy's gear list
Nikon D7100
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow