Started Jun 27, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
juliemeikle
Regular MemberPosts: 172Gear list
Like?
Long lens choice...dilemma
Jun 27, 2006

You offered great advice before so although I know this is a well worn topic (I have searched & read ealier posts) I hope you can offer insights again.

Very happy with lenses so far after doing a bit of swapping, so now have:

EF-S 10-22
EF 17-40 L
EF 50 1.8
(EF 28-80 mk1 on old EOS100 film camera)
EF 24-105 L

This set up complements each other for me...the 10-22 & 24-105 when i can carry several lenses, and the 17-40 when I just want one.

EF-S 60 macro
EF 70-200 f4 L
EF 1.4X

On a EOS 30D

I now could buy a longer lens. I miss the reach that I had a few years ago with a 300 lens. I could have done with longer though. Recently took some photos of a kingfisher with 1.4+70-200 and the bird was tiny!

I have considered:

EF 100-400 L advantages IS, flexible zoom, disadvantages, does not take TC well, price, price & price again!

EF 400 5.6 adv sharp, quality images, disadv priime so not flexible, no IS

Tamron 200-500 adv price, price,price! flexible, good images disadv not Canon, focus slowly, slow lens

Sigma 170-5-- Adv ? price maybe? disadv lower image quality had problems before with Sigma compatability.. Probably ruled that out

or a different angle, :
EF 300 f4ISL used mostly with 1.4x

My usage would be birds mostly, although not songbirds often, mainly waders, seabirds, ducks etc

As you can tell cost is a big issue, but I have replaced my lenses with quality and really appreciate the difference so would not want a cheap option if it was too much of a compromise.

I am leaning somewhere between the Tamron and the EF 400 (If the 100-400 was a lot cheaper I would probably go for that), but you may well have thoughts to broaden my thinking out or angles I had not considered.
Thanks in advance
Julie

juliemeikle's gear list:juliemeikle's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +15 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow