Started Jun 13, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nboyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,011Gear list
Like?
My Thoughts After CRT --> LCD
Jun 13, 2006

Hello Gang. Just wanted to provide some feedback to those who may be contemplating a move to LCD, but are unsure about how LCD compares to CRT in image quality. I recently replaced a 19" Samsung CRT monitor with a 19" LG Flatron LCD monitor. Of all the articles out there that compare CRT to LCD, all the die-hards claim that the LCD's are not there yet for critical desktop publishing work. I don't know, either I'm not good enough to see the differences (could be) or LCD monitors have matured into being as good as CRT's.

The key reason for switching was a false diagnosis that my CRT was going bad. I did a lot of research and finally decided on the LG. The specs (taken with a grain of salt) just won me over - 4ns, 1400:1 contrast ratio (yes 1400:1) and the images looked so good at the store.

I brought it home and immediately calibrated it with my Monaco OPTIX Pro colorimeter. Then I compared the output - D-SUB vs. DVI-D. The first thing I noticed (D-SUB mode) was that pictures that I had processed earlier on the CRT looked crisper. When I switched to DVI-D, the images looked even sharper and more defined. The colors between D-SUB and DVI-D were about the same, I'm assuming since I recalibrated in each mode with the same colorimeter.

Thus far, I'm very pleased with the switch. The LCD is much easier on my eyes and I can't see any reduction in quality, if anything the quality has increased. Anyone out there who have made the switch and are also pleased? -Norm

nboyer's gear list:nboyer's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon Coolpix A Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica X (Typ 113) Leica M8.2 +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow