Started Jun 11, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bill Spohn
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
R1 Advice
Jun 11, 2006

I am an old film type with lots of gear from the 70s, all lenses screw mount.

A few years ago I went digital - got my feet wet with a low end Fuji and quickly decided I liked the digital format so jumped in with a Minolta 7i which has served me well. I do mostly landscape and botanical work, often used on a couple of websites I run.

I started twitching for something with better optics and fastened on the R1 instead of something like a D 50 or D70.

The reason was that I don't have a large inventory of lenses (at least automatic lenses) I can switch over to digicam use, and frankly, having done the pack mule bit once too often, albeit with older steel tube lenses that weigh a ton, I have little inclination to start in collecting a whole new batch of lenses that I'll need to carry around with me again, and my style of photography doesn't absolutely demand it in any case.

I've done my homework and read these lists since the announcement through early days after delivery of the R1. Interesting that people get so cranked up about camera debates (even before anyone has one in their hands for evaluation). Reminds me of the car forums where telling someone his car is less than perfect is tantamount to saying his dog doesn't love him or his wife 'gets around'.

What I am asking now is for advice from people that have had the R1 in their hands for a few months now - tell me whether any of the theoretical limitations have been a practical problem and what your hands on experience with the camera has been - over all like or dislike.

I have the feeling that the R1 might just suit me well for the next couple of years anyway.

PS - I have absolutely no brand loyalty - I've shot Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Konica,Mamiya, Minolta......I am just after a useful camera.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow