Started Jun 3, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Difficulty
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
Creating a mosaic with 1200 pics
Jun 3, 2006

So after about 18 months of lurking this site (and learning a lot), I hereby make this my first post to convey a cool project that has made the wall of my living room, as well as the walls of my parents, in-laws etc.

The concept is the "photo mosaic," as seen in lots of magazine ads these days.

I researched the idea because I wanted to be able to do something with the 2500 or so pictures I've taken of my kid, Sam, with my D70. They are all just sitting there on the hard drive, so why no find a way to integrate them into something cool?

After exhaustive research, I found a free program called AndreaMosaic (google it, and you shall find it.) It's not very user friendly, but it works great once ya get the hang of all variables. And, you can't beat the price.

The first picture is what I started out with.

Then I pointed the program to see the 2500 pictures on my drive.

Then ended up with the second image at roughly 6000x6000 pixels -- enough for a 20x20 print, with each individual picture being about 3/4 of an inch big. The program only used 1200 or so of the pictures, picking the best ones to match the overlay photo. Mpix did a fabulous job of printing it.

The third picture is a detail of the photo to demonstrate what a small portion of the picture looks like up close (at screen resolution).

I implemented a couple of tweaks to get a better quality result (actually creating two mosaics with different fidelity settings, layering them in PS, and then masking the portions that were distracting from the work.)

That's all -- no questions, just a tip from someone who searches this archive frequently for helpful advice. If you are like me and have thousands of photos just SITTING there, then this is a cool thing to do with it.

-- hide signature --

Difficulty

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
CoolNew
WowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow