Pictures come out TOO BRIGHT...

Started Dec 9, 2001 | Discussions thread
Borami
Regular MemberPosts: 238
Like?
Re: Pictures come out TOO BRIGHT...
In reply to UCSDxB0i, Dec 10, 2001

Hi Eric,

I also own G2. I'm only an beginning amateur in photography, but my thoughts might be helpful, i hope.

Since you haven't showed the overexposed picture, I don't know the exact conditions the shots were made. But, I suspect the probelm was the background being too dark and the subject too bright. Is that right? Anyways, I haven't had much problem using auto mode even though I rarely use it. Auto mode doesn't mean you'll automatically get a correctly exposed pictures all the time. Of course, G2 will calculate the exposure so that the averaged exposure of the whole picture will have a correct exposure. Let's just say this exposure is 0. So, when you use the flash and the subect is at a distance from the background, the flash will fire at a strength that will make the averaged exposure of the subject and the background will give '0' exposure. BUt since the background is too far and the flash cannot reach so it is dark. So, the metering system automatically overexpose the subject so that the average of the whole picture will have the '0' exposure. One solution to this problem is using spot metering. Just press spot metering button and poiint the box on the subject's face, then recompose and shoot. This case, the flash won't care about the dark background and correctly expose the subject's face. Of course this needs to be done in P mode. Another way for the same result is using flash compensation, but I'd recommend spot metering since you wouldn't want the subject to stay there smiling until you get the right shot after several pictures. Yet another way is fill the screen with the subject as much as possible so that when the camera meters the overall most exposure is applied to the subject. If you want also a dimly lit background to come out with well exposed subject, you cant use slow sync method.

To go a little further, the camera metering cannot distinguish a dark colored subject (black) from average grey subject. Then the camera thiinks the darkness from let's say the subject clothes is a shadow and compensate it with a stronger flash. Then, agiain the face of a subject wearing dark clothes will be overexposed. Again you can use spot metering and meter off the subject's face then shoot. or you can also decrease flash power. And the same way the camera doesn't know whether the subject's white clothes is a whitle clothes and need to be exposed brightly. So, when the color of the subject deviated way too much from normal well lit gray color, you have to think and override the camera. I believe no such smart camera exists (even in film) that's why all the pros and good amatuers use exposure compensation or flash compensation.

yet another way to prevent over-exposure using the flash is put the subject close to the background so that the flash can reach the background easily. then the overall won't be affected too much from the background.

I hope this helps.

Happy shooting.

UCSDxB0i wrote:

Hello, if you guys didnt know I just got my G2 last week and I'm
still not too familiar with it. I ran a search to look for the
subject "brightness" "too bright" something along those lines and
didnt find what I was looking for.

Ok, well my parents took the G2 to my moms christmas party
yesterday and of course my Dad uses the Auto mode but all the
pictures came back too bright. some had red eye too. I found many
topics about removing redeye in Photoshop but I was wondering is it
not good to use the Auto mode? cuz apparently the pics dont come
out the way we want. Whats the way to avoid haveing your pictures
come out too bright? Oh BTW it was in door and the flash came on
every time...

Thanks
Eric

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow