Speed Macbook (pro) vs Imac G5 2.0 (Aperture)

Started May 28, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kim van Heuven
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?
Speed Macbook (pro) vs Imac G5 2.0 (Aperture)
May 28, 2006

All,

I currently have a 20" Imac G5 2.0 with 1.5GB memory and 400 GB harddisk. I'm thinking to buy a notebook but can't decide if I'll take the Macbook or Macbook Pro.
I've got the following questions:

• I use my computer a lot for Aperture and CS2, but have to admit that I don't find my Imac very fast (use Raw file on Canon 20D). It irritates me a lot that I need to wait when making adjustments in Aperture. Is a Macbook (Pro) a lot faster than my Imac (I know the CS2 won;t be. Maybe CS3). I always have the idea that a laptop is slower than a desktop.

• Can a Macbook Pro with external monitor (23") be used an alternative for my Imac G5 with considerable better performance? In that case I could sell my Imac. I just bought a Lacie bigdisk 500GB.

• Or is it better to buy a macbook (non pro version) at which it is easier to upgrade to fast hard disk (7200 rpm) and add memory, for some simple Aperture work for when I am away from home and wait until the new Intel Powermac arrives? The Intel Powermac will allow me to use more than 2GB which is a limitation on the notebooks.

Hope you can give me some advise to make my descision become easier.

Thanks.

Kim

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow